The Division for Arab States, Europe and the CIS of UNOSSC, based in Istanbul, Turkey, is seeking to recruit a Specialist to provide support in the following five broader areas of work covering the Arab States:
Job Vacancy Details
|Application Deadline :||17-Jun-21 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||IPSA (Short-Term)|
|Post Level :||IPSA-11|
|Languages Required :||Arabic English|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year, up to 126 full working days (8 hours/day).|
The Specialist will also support the follow-up to the outcome of the Inter-regional policy dialogue and stocktaking on public policy leadership and institutional arrangements for advancing South-South and triangular cooperation in the Arab States, Europe and the CIS, organised by the Division in April 2021, as well as the roll-out of the UN System-wide Strategy at the regional and country level in close collaboration and partnership with the UN entities, UN Resident Coordinators and UN Country Teams.
The Specialist will report to, and be directly supervised by, the Regional Chief, UNOSSC Division for Arab States, Europe and the CIS. The Specialist will be given access to relevant information necessary for execution of the tasks under this assignment. Will be a full member of the regional team and take part in team meetings and other relevant ad hoc meetings as needed.
Given the regional scope of the work to be undertaken during this assignment, the Specialist is expected to be reasonably flexible with his/her availability taking into consideration different time zones. The Specialist will be responsible for providing her/his own working station (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, assignment specific software, etc.) and must have access to a reliable internet connection. The Specialist will provide a monthly report.
Required Skills and Experience
|Min. Academic Education||Master’s degree (or equivalent) in economics, development, law, international relations, environment, or another relevant field is essential.|
|Min. years of relevant Work experience||– Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in the development field including policy development, analysis, research, planning, coordination, and monitoring.|
– At least 4 years of prior experience in South-South and triangular cooperation preferably with one of the United Nations entities or another international organization, national governments, or other relevant stakeholders.
|Required skills and competencies||– Demonstrated experience in providing policy advisory services to governments and/or UN entities related to South-South and triangular cooperation.|
– Familiarity with the Arab region, trends and dynamics, and economic, social, cultural, and political landscape.
– Working experience in a large international or governmental organization, multilateral organizations and/or the UN system.
Corporate Competencies: Integrity, professionalism, respect for diversity, and teamwork.
– Strong communication skills both written and verbal; and
– Excellent research, analytical and report writing skills.
Strong interpersonal skills:
– Ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner; and
– Sound judgment with proven ability to work effectively under minimum supervision.
|Desired additional skills and competencies||– Experience working in a developing country context.|
– Familiarity with UN development system reform, work of the UN Regional Commissions covered by the Division, IFIs, Development Funds etc.
– Excellent administrative and coordination skills, including organizing events and logistics.
|Required Language(s) (at working level)||Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.|
If you think you would be a suitable candidate to join our team, please apply now.